Wednesday, July 30

Day Three: Hitting the Weights

Today was the first day we used our dumbbells. (Wow that word looks weird with two Bs but the spell checker insists so we'll go with it.)

I got to the park at about 5:55 and as other students showed up, we kinda stood around and compared our sorenesses. It was nice to know I am not the only one who is aching. Even the young ones who look like thy are in fine shape were saying they had stiff and sore muscles.

Around 6:05 the trainer still hadn't shown up so we went for a quick jog to warm up. He came speeding into the parking lot at about 6:10. He had traffic problems and got lost trying to go around them.

We did some more work on the hill and were using the weights to work on our shoulders. This was something I could do. I may not be able to do 100 sit-ups or run all that fast or far, but I'm used to carrying around extra weight. Several times per night in fact, I carry a 35-50 lb sleeping child from our bed back to his own bed, usually to the top bunk. So, I can lift stuff.

I'm actually not even feeling any pain in my shoulders tonight. And my quads have partly recovered from the torture I put them through on Monday. I can make it down 1.5 flights of stairs without crying now. By the end of the week, I should be ready to do squats and lunges again.

The other big part of the day was wind sprints in a soccer field that needed to be cut. It was wet and cloudy and we were running in long grass. The mosquitoes were terrible. But then again, the slapping could have been part of the workout. I was feeling pretty good today and I had a short nap in the morning so I was doing pretty good until mid-afternoon when I was to start work.

I was pooped. I had a large hot chocolate with a couple espresso shots from my Tassimo. That seemed to be just right cause now I'm 15 minutes from being able to go to bed and I'm starting to yawn. And no TV tonight. Just straight to bed for a solid 6 hours in a row.

My eating wasn't as good today. We had Wendy's for lunch and leftover tacos for supper so I probably used up my 3000+ expended calories for the day. Tomorrow will be better.

No comments: