Monday, July 28

Day One: OMG!

I was scared I'd sleep in this morning and get in trouble for being late. My class starts at 6am so I set the alarm for 5 and was up a little before. I got dressed and had some breakfast. I knew I didn't want anything heavy so I went with a smoothie. Not a good day to try something new but I tried a banana-peanut butter-chocolate-raspberry thing. Tasted okay and woke me up.

I got to the park where we were meeting on time (I should - it's 3 minutes from our house) and met the trainer and the other students. 5 young ladies - 4 of whom were significantly more fit than me. The trainer was a guy so that was a bonus.

We started with a fitness test and measurements. I'm not going to subject anyone who stumbles across this to seeing my actual measurements but suffice it to say, I'm apparently built like a barrel. Chest, abdomen, hips, doesn't matter. All pretty much the same. I was feeling okay about the fitness test at first. Pushups and situps were better than I expected. Squats made my knees feel like they were going to pop. But then came the 1km run. I think the trainer got confused and took us on a 10km run because 1 km isn't anywhere near that far. I jogged the first bit and then alternated walking and jogging to the end. I couldn't be last so I made a push at the end and tied the big girl for last place. 9:40. I don't know what I expected but that isn't it. If I could keep that same pace for a marathon I would finish in about 7 hours. The would have packed up the finish line and all gone for supper by the time I got there.

But I couldn't keep that pace.

I collapsed in a heap on the grass. Then we did some squats and lunges and then sprints and pushups and ending with core workout. I was sweating like crazy and thought I couldn't make it. I was the most tired I'd ever been.

I stumbled to my van and barely had the strength to open the door and climb inside. I got home and came upstairs to have a shower. I threw up my smoothie and went to bed and slept for about 2 hours. My lovely wife handled the kids while I did this.

I'm feeling better tonight. My quads are burning going up and down the stairs but that's the only real pain. I'll have a warm shower and try to stretch them out before collapsing into bed for a few hours tonight.

It can only get better. Either that or I'll be the first person to die at Survivor Boot Camp.

No comments: